Based on a series of case studies and accompanying multiple-choice questions, A Taste of Counselling is a short introductory home study course that will enable you to compare your responses to a range of situations against expert advice, and find out more about how professional counsellors think and work. You'll find out about what counselling involves, increase your understanding of some of the personal qualities it requires, and take a first step towards gaining a professional qualification or continuing your counselling training.
Duration of study
- What are counselling skills?
- What is counselling?
- Contexts for counselling
- Why is counselling useful?
- Your ideas about counselling
- Training as a counsellor
Unit 2: Focus on feelings
- Counselling as a different way of relating
- Creating a safe framework
- The contract
- Trust and rapport
- The importance of feelings as well as facts
- How clients show feelings
- How counsellors respond to feelings
- Difficult feelings
Unit 3: Change - a risky business
- The nature of change
- The need to change
- Facing up to change
- Counsellors as catalysts for change
- The role of feelings in change
- Motivation to train
- 3 computer-marked assignments
Set texts and resources
- Windows 7 or later
- Mac OSX 10.7 or later
- Google Chrome OS
- Android 4.4 or later, using the Chrome browser
- iOS 6 or later, using the Safari browser
- Google Chrome (latest version)
- Mozilla Firefox (latest version)
- Safari 6 or later
- Internet Explorer 10 or later (excluding IE11)
learn@nec may work on other operating systems and browsers with some restrictions. You can see full details of the system requirements by clicking here.
How to enrol
- Click the ‘Enrol now’ button above.
- Telephone us on 0800 389 2839 or +44(0)1223 400200 and speak to our course advice team.
- Ask us to send you an enrolment form which you can complete and return by post.
Thank you for your interest in this course.
Please fill out your details below, and you will receive an email containing a link to download the course sample.
What our students say...
"I have enjoyed studying as the material is easy to follow and very clear. It is good to not be under pressure and to be able to take your own time over assignments. I am now studying for a Foundation Degree and feel the study skills I have developed with NEC have been a great help to me."
— Gillian Garman