Due to ongoing reforms, the final opportunity to sit exams for this specification is January 2019.
Due to the short amount of time left until the Summer 2018 exam session, we advise students to reconsider moving their exam intention to January 2019. If you do decide to go ahead with 2018 exams, the deadline for enrolling is 31st December and we strongly recommend adding our Fast Track service to your enrolment. After this final date you would need to wait until 2019 to sit your exams.
Study our online Biology International GCSE or IGCSE course to learn about the science of life and develop valuable skills. The International GCSE in Biology is equivalent to the Biology GCSE, but is more suited to online and distance learning. In particular, you’ll be assessed on important practical and investigative skills through written exams, so you can study the course online and from home at a pace that suits you. The IGCSE Biology qualification can help you to go on to further study, meet the entry requirements for university programmes such as teacher training, health-related professions and apprenticeships.
Duration of study
- Introduction to living things
- Animals and plants
- Fungi, bacteria, protists and viruses
Unit 2 - Inside living things
- From cells to systems
- Moving chemicals
- Chemicals of life
Unit 3 - Plant nutrition
- How green plants make food
- Plant growth
Unit 4 - Animal nutrition
- Food and diet
- Chemical digestion
- Absorption and assimilation
Unit 5 - Transport
- Transport systems – the heart and circulation
- Blood and immunity
- Exercise and the heart
- Moving food and water in plants
Unit 6 - Respiration, breathing
- Respiration and gas exchange
- Factors that affect breathing
Unit 7 - Response to stimuli
- Responding to the environment
- The nervous system
- Homeostasis and temperature regulation
Unit 8 - Biotechnology and microbiology
- Applied microbiology
Unit 9 - Ecosystems and environment
- Food chains and webs
- Nutrient cycles
Unit 10 - Population, pollution and conservation
- Population size
- Use of natural resources and conservation
- Food production
- Conservation and recycling
Unit 11 - Reproduction
- Sexual reproduction in plants
- Sexual reproduction in humans
- Birth control
- Sexually transmitted diseases
Unit 12 - Genetics, variation and selection
- Variation and chromosomes
- Monohybrid inheritance
- Genetic modification
- Natural and artificial selection
Exams and assessment
- 2 hours, 67% of marks
- 1 hour, 33% of marks
Non-exam assessment (NEA):
This course has:
- 1 introductory assignment
- 13 assignments
- 2 practical assignments
Set texts and resources
- Windows 7 or later
- Mac OSX 10.7 or later
- Google Chrome OS
- Android 4.4 or later, using the Chrome browser
- iOS 6 or later, using the Safari browser
- Google Chrome (latest version)
- Mozilla Firefox (latest version)
- Safari 6 or later
- Internet Explorer 10 or later (excluding IE11)
learn@nec may work on other operating systems and browsers with some restrictions. You can see full details of the system requirements by clicking here.
How to enrol
- Click the ‘Enrol now’ button above.
- Telephone us on 0800 389 2839 or +44(0)1223 400200 and speak to our course advice team.
- Ask us to send you an enrolment form which you can complete and return by post.
Paying in instalments
Amount of credit:
Duration of agreement:
Rate of interest:
0% APR representative.
The National Extension College (NEC) is the trading name of the Open School Trust, which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (register number 676788). Finance is provided through the Deko platform by a number of lenders. You will be offered the best rate available based on your credit history and the lenders’ credit decision policies.
Deko is a trading name of Pay4Later Ltd who act as a credit intermediary. They are registered in England and Wales (company number 06447333) and authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (register number 728646). For more information please go to www.dekopay.com/faq or visit www.dekopay.com.
Thank you for your interest in this course.
Please fill out your details below, and you will receive an email containing a link to download the course sample.
What our students say...
"The main office at NEC have always been very quick to pick up the phone and very helpful. All of my tutors were also very helpful and gave me some really good tips on how to improve my work. The best thing about distance learning for me has definitely been the flexibility of it."
— Isobel Hughes