This course will help you to understand business concepts, terminology, objectives, organisation, finance and operation.
Would you prefer to pay for your course by instalments? Please see the ‘How to enrol’ section below for details of our low cost, interest free finance available.
This course is one of our new Gold Star International GCSEs. Find out more about them here. The first opportunity sit exams for this course is 2019.
No previous knowledge is required for this course, although you need to be able to read and write English.
Hours of study
It's really up to you but, as a guide, a GCSE course takes about 120-150 hours plus extra time for assignment work you submit to your tutor. You will have tutor support for a period of up to 18 months from the date of enrolment.
Exams and assessment
- 1 hour 30 minutes, 50% of marks
1 hour 30 minutes, 50% of marks
Non-exam assessment (NEA):
NEC's tutor-marked assignments:
- 1 introductory assignment
There are no essential set texts. The course includes some recommended books that you may wish to refer to for additional reading.
Your course is delivered online through learn@nec, so it’s important that you have access to a computer and the internet. We recommend that your computer is using one of the following operating systems and browsers to improve your experience of using learn@nec:
- Windows 7 or later
- Mac OSX 10.7 or later
- Google Chrome OS
- Android 4.4 or later, using the Chrome browser
- iOS 6 or later, using the Safari browser
- Google Chrome (latest version)
- Mozilla Firefox (latest version)
- Safari 6 or later
- Internet Explorer 10 or later (excluding IE11)
learn@nec may work on other operating systems and browsers with some restrictions. You can see full details of the system requirements by clicking here.
How to enrol
How to enrol
There are several ways to enrol with NEC:
- Click the ‘Enrol now’ button above
- Telephone us on 0800 389 2839 or +44(0)1223 400200 and speak to our course advice team
- Ask us to send you an enrolment form which you can complete and return by post.
How can you pay?
It’s your choice: you can pay in full at the point of enrolment, or you can spread the cost over monthly instalments with our finance offer. To pay in instalments you will need to enrol by telephone.
Amount of credit:
Duration of agreement:
Rate of interest:
0% APR representative.
The National Extension College (NEC) is the trading name of the Open School Trust, which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (register number 676788). Finance is provided through the Deko platform by a number of lenders. You will be offered the best rate available based on your credit history and the lenders’ credit decision policies.
Deko is a trading name of Pay4Later Ltd who act as a credit intermediary. They are registered in England and Wales (company number 06447333) and authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (register number 728646). For more information please go to www.dekopay.com/faq or visit www.dekopay.com.
Section 1 - Business activity
- Business objectives
- Sole traders and partnerships
- Limited liability companies and public corporations
- Primary, secondary and tertiary activity
Section 2 - Influences on business
- Decisions on location
- Business and the international economy
- Government objectives and policies
- External factors
- Measuring success
Section 3 - People in business
- Organisational structure
- Internal and external communication
- Recruitment and selection
- Motivation and rewards
Section 4 - Business finance
- Sources of business finance
- Cash-flow forecasting
- Costs and break-even analysis
- Financial documents
- Accounts analysis
Section 5 - Marketing
- The market
- Market research
- The marketing mix: product
- The marketing mix: price
- The marketing mix: place
- The marketing mix: promotion
Section 6 - Business operations
- Economies and diseconomies of scale
- Factors of production
Section 7 - Practice paper 1 (small businesses)
Section 8 - Practice paper 2 (large businesses)
Thank you for your interest in this course.
Please fill out your details below, and you will receive an email containing a link to download the course sample.