Due to the short amount of time left until the Summer 2018 exam session, we advise students to reconsider moving their exam intention to Summer 2019. If you do decide to go ahead with 2018 exams, the deadline for enrolling is 1st December. After this date we strongly recommend adding our Fast Track service to your enrolment. We are able to accept enrolments with Fast Track until 12th January. After this final date you would need to wait until 2019 to sit your exams.
Chemistry is the science of substances and their properties and interactions, from explosions to the creation of new compounds. This is the ideal course if you aspire to work in pharmaceuticals, food chemistry or forensics. Topics include atomic structure, equilibrium and redox reactions.
This course is one of our new Gold Star AS levels. Find out more about them here.
Duration of study
- Atomic structure and the periodic table
- Monitoring the course of a reaction
Section 2 - Bonding and redox reactions
- Organic chemistry
- Bonding and structure
- Redox reactions
Section 3 - Inorganic chemistry, quantities and energy in reactions
- Electronic structures
- Inorganic chemistry and the periodic table
- Formulae, equations and amounts of substance
Section 4 - Organic chemistry
- Naming organic compounds
- Introduction to organic chemistry
- Hydrocarbons, alkanes and alkenes
- Halogenoalkanes and alcohols
Section 5 - Modern analytical techniques, kinetics and equilibrium
- Modern analytical techniques 1
- Kinetics 1
- A case study in kinetics
- A case study in equilibrium
Exams and assessment
- 1 hour 30 minutes, 50% of marks
- 1 hour 30 minutes, 50% of marks
- The AS level exams are written, with no practical element, but throughout the exam you will be expected to use your understanding of practical theory to answer questions. You will have gained this knowledge through the 8 core practicals within your course.
Non-exam assessment (NEA):
This course has:
- 1 introductory assignment
- 5 assignments
Set texts and resources
- Edexcel A Level Chemistry Student Book 1, G Curtis, A Hunt and G Hill, Hodder Education 2015
- Maths Skills for A Level Chemistry, D McGowan and E Poole, Nelson Thornes 2013
- Windows 7 or later
- Mac OSX 10.7 or later
- Google Chrome OS
- Android 4.4 or later, using the Chrome browser
- iOS 6 or later, using the Safari browser
- Google Chrome (latest version)
- Mozilla Firefox (latest version)
- Safari 6 or later
- Internet Explorer 10 or later (excluding IE11)
learn@nec may work on other operating systems and browsers with some restrictions. You can see full details of the system requirements by clicking here.
How to enrol
- Click the ‘Enrol now’ button above.
- Telephone us on 0800 389 2839 or +44(0)1223 400200 and speak to our course advice team.
- Ask us to send you an enrolment form which you can complete and return by post.
Paying in instalments
Amount of credit:
Duration of agreement:
Rate of interest:
0% APR representative.
The National Extension College (NEC) is the trading name of the Open School Trust, which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (register number 676788). Finance is provided through the Deko platform by a number of lenders. You will be offered the best rate available based on your credit history and the lenders’ credit decision policies.
Deko is a trading name of Pay4Later Ltd who act as a credit intermediary. They are registered in England and Wales (company number 06447333) and authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (register number 728646). For more information please go to www.dekopay.com/faq or visit www.dekopay.com.
Thank you for your interest in this course.
Please fill out your details below, and you will receive an email containing a link to download the course sample.
What our students say...
"The best thing about the course was the instant feedback received from the tutors and the course set-up is really easy to follow. Studying has helped me open my eyes to the world around me. It has also helped me develop lab skills and also given me confidence in my own ability."
— Melanie Chapman