Due to the short amount of time left until the Summer 2018 exam session, we advise students to reconsider moving their exam intention to Summer 2019. If you do decide to go ahead with 2018 exams, the deadline for enrolling is 1st December. After this date we strongly recommend adding our Fast Track service to your enrolment. We are able to accept enrolments with Fast Track until 12th January. After this final date you would need to wait until 2019 to sit your exams.
How do you distinguish between value creation and value allocation? What data do you select to frame simple assumptions that make a complex problem manageable? An AS level in Economics will help you start understanding the contribution economics makes to the wider social environment.
This course is one of our new Gold Star AS levels. Find out more about them here.
Duration of study
- The nature of economics
- Production and specialisation
Section 2 - Supply and price
- Price determination
- Price mechanism
Section 3 - Market failure and government intervention
- Market failure
- Government intervention
- Government failure
Section 4 - The UK economy – performance measures
- Measuring economic performance
- Aggregate demand
- Aggregate supply
Section 5 - The UK economy – income, growth and policies
- National income
- Economic growth
- Macroeconomic objectives and policies
Exams and assessment
- 1 hour 30 minutes, 50% of marks
- 1 hour 30 minutes, 50% of marks
Non-exam assessment (NEA):
This course has:
- 1 introductory assignment
- 5 assignments
Set texts and resources
- Edexcel A level Economics A Book 1, P Smith, Hodder Education 2015
- Maths Skills for A Level Economics, J Lawrence, Oxford University Press 2014
- Windows 7 or later
- Mac OSX 10.7 or later
- Google Chrome OS
- Android 4.4 or later, using the Chrome browser
- iOS 6 or later, using the Safari browser
- Google Chrome (latest version)
- Mozilla Firefox (latest version)
- Safari 6 or later
- Internet Explorer 10 or later (excluding IE11)
learn@nec may work on other operating systems and browsers with some restrictions. You can see full details of the system requirements by clicking here.
How to enrol
- Click the ‘Enrol now’ button above.
- Telephone us on 0800 389 2839 or +44(0)1223 400200 and speak to our course advice team.
- Ask us to send you an enrolment form which you can complete and return by post.
Paying in instalments
Amount of credit:
Duration of agreement:
Rate of interest:
0% APR representative.
The National Extension College (NEC) is the trading name of the Open School Trust, which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (register number 676788). Finance is provided through the Deko platform by a number of lenders. You will be offered the best rate available based on your credit history and the lenders’ credit decision policies.
Deko is a trading name of Pay4Later Ltd who act as a credit intermediary. They are registered in England and Wales (company number 06447333) and authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (register number 728646). For more information please go to www.dekopay.com/faq or visit www.dekopay.com.
Thank you for your interest in this course.
Please fill out your details below, and you will receive an email containing a link to download the course sample.
What our students say...
"I do not have any problems staying in touch with my tutor and the student support team. They are both wonderful and extremely supportive."
— NEC A level student