Due to the short amount of time left until the Summer 2018 exam session, we advise students to reconsider moving their exam intention to Summer 2019. If you do decide to go ahead with 2018 exams, the deadline for enrolling is 1st December. After this date we strongly recommend adding our Fast Track service to your enrolment. We are able to accept enrolments with Fast Track until 12th January. After this final date you would need to wait until 2019 to sit your exams.
Whether you are writing a blog, reading a film script, or analysing advertising copy, you need to use and understand language with its intended audience in mind. Studying AS level English Language will enable you to improve your mastery of the language which 390 million people speak worldwide.
This course is one of our new Gold Star AS levels. Find out more about them here.
Duration of study
- The language of every day
- Putting language in its place
- The science of language study
- Meanings and representations
- Structure and style
Section 2 - Spoken English
- Your linguistic fingerprint
- The language of speech and the language of writing
- Planned speech
- Permission to speak
- Broadcast talk
Section 3 - Language and power
- Where power lies
- Influential power in language
- Instrumental power in language
- Linguistic power at work
- Language which embraces, language which conceals
Section 4 - Identity and non-standard English
- What is a dialect?
- Dialect and region
- Dialect and identity
- Attitudes to dialect
- Language development and the role of technology
Section 5 - Language and gender
- A woman's place
- Dominance versus difference
- Gender and particular identities
- Man-made language
Exams and assessment
- 1 hour 30 minutes, 50% of marks
- 1 hour 30 minutes, 50% of marks
Non-exam assessment (NEA):
This course has:
- 1 introductory assignment
- 5 assignments
Set texts and resources
- Windows 7 or later
- Mac OSX 10.7 or later
- Google Chrome OS
- Android 4.4 or later, using the Chrome browser
- iOS 6 or later, using the Safari browser
- Google Chrome (latest version)
- Mozilla Firefox (latest version)
- Safari 6 or later
- Internet Explorer 10 or later (excluding IE11)
learn@nec may work on other operating systems and browsers with some restrictions. You can see full details of the system requirements by clicking here.
How to enrol
- Click the ‘Enrol now’ button above.
- Telephone us on 0800 389 2839 or +44(0)1223 400200 and speak to our course advice team.
- Ask us to send you an enrolment form which you can complete and return by post.
Paying in instalments
Amount of credit:
Duration of agreement:
Rate of interest:
0% APR representative.
The National Extension College (NEC) is the trading name of the Open School Trust, which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (register number 676788). Finance is provided through the Deko platform by a number of lenders. You will be offered the best rate available based on your credit history and the lenders’ credit decision policies.
Deko is a trading name of Pay4Later Ltd who act as a credit intermediary. They are registered in England and Wales (company number 06447333) and authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (register number 728646). For more information please go to www.dekopay.com/faq or visit www.dekopay.com.
Thank you for your interest in this course.
Please fill out your details below, and you will receive an email containing a link to download the course sample.
What our students say...
"I would like to thank NEC for providing me with the opportunity to embark on a course which is interesting, relaxing and very rewarding. I would thoroughly recommend distance learning."
— Eileen Robb