Due to the short amount of time left until the Summer 2018 exam session, we advise students to reconsider moving their exam intention to Summer 2019. If you do decide to go ahead with 2018 exams, the deadline for enrolling is 1st December. After this date we strongly recommend adding our Fast Track service to your enrolment. We are able to accept enrolments with Fast Track until 12th January. After this final date you would need to wait until 2019 to sit your exams.
AS level French is a good foundation for a variety of careers. This course aims to equip you to deal with everyday social and work situations in French-speaking countries. You will also study the language of contemporary French media.
This course is one of our new Gold Star AS levels. Find out more about them here.
Duration of study
- Notre famille est spéciale
- Se marier – oui ou non?
- Que de soucis!
- La technologie et la vie quotidienne
- La technologie et les jeunes
Section 2 - La cybersocieté et le bénévolat
- Les pièges de plus en plus sophistiqués de la cybersociété
- Le boom technologique en Afrique francophone
- L’Afrique francophone
- Aider les défavorisés – pourquoi et comment?
- Le bénévolat transforme les vies
- Une expérience de volontaire
- Le bénévolat en France
Section 3 - Culture et musique francophone
- C’est quoi exactement, le patrimoine?
- Le patrimoine – un atout pour le tourisme?
- Architecture et gastronomie
- Peut-on créer du patrimoine moderne?
- Le patrimoine culturel
- Sauvez la musique francophone!
- Connaissez-vous la musique francophone contemporaine?
- La chanson française
Section 4 - Musique et cinéma
- Vous écoutez de la musique francophone?
- La musique francophone africaine
- Le cinéma: un art populaire
- Les moments forts du cinéma en France
- La passion du cinéma
- La cinéma français
Section 5 - Literature and film 1
- This section will focus on the set text or film for AS French
Exams and assessment
- 1 hour 45 minutes, 45% of marks
- 1 hour 30 minutes, 25% of marks
- One oral exam, 30% of marks:
The oral exam is 12 to 14 minutes. Please refer to this page for more detailed information about how to take your oral exam through NEC.
Non-exam assessment (NEA):
This course has:
- 1 introductory assignment
- 5 assignments
Set texts and resources
- AQA A level French, R Hares, C D'Angelo, L Léchelle and JC Gilles, Hodder Education 2016
- Au revoir Les Enfants, Louis Malle (film)
- Modern Languages Study Guides: Au revoir les enfants: Film Study Guide for AS/A-level French, K Harrington, Hodder Education 2017
- Windows 7 or later
- Mac OSX 10.7 or later
- Google Chrome OS
- Android 4.4 or later, using the Chrome browser
- iOS 6 or later, using the Safari browser
- Google Chrome (latest version)
- Mozilla Firefox (latest version)
- Safari 6 or later
- Internet Explorer 10 or later (excluding IE11)
learn@nec may work on other operating systems and browsers with some restrictions. You can see full details of the system requirements by clicking here.
How to enrol
- Click the ‘Enrol now’ button above.
- Telephone us on 0800 389 2839 or +44(0)1223 400200 and speak to our course advice team.
- Ask us to send you an enrolment form which you can complete and return by post.
Paying in instalments
Amount of credit:
Duration of agreement:
Rate of interest:
0% APR representative.
The National Extension College (NEC) is the trading name of the Open School Trust, which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (register number 676788). Finance is provided through the Deko platform by a number of lenders. You will be offered the best rate available based on your credit history and the lenders’ credit decision policies.
Deko is a trading name of Pay4Later Ltd who act as a credit intermediary. They are registered in England and Wales (company number 06447333) and authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (register number 728646). For more information please go to www.dekopay.com/faq or visit www.dekopay.com.