By law, we are required to provide you with information about why and how we use your data and about the rights you have over your data. The data you provide here is used to fulfil your request. We’ll use your contact details to get in touch about your request and if you consent, to send you marketing communications to keep you up-to-date. We keep your information in systems that are either based in the EU or compliant with EU-US Privacy Shield until you opt-out. You can request a copy of your data, ask us to amend it or withdraw your consent for receiving marketing communications at any time. You can request that your information is deleted at any time but that may prevent us from delivering services to you. You can read our full Website Privacy Notice for here.
Geography deals with the big themes that affect how we live. Study geography to develop skills in research and analysis, including map reading and field work. You will learn about the relationship between humankind and the planet we inhabit.
Duration of study
- Map reading
Section 2 - Population
- World population growth
- Factors influencing natural change
- Population structure
- Population distribution and density
- Population and resources
Section 3 - Settlement topics
- Distribution and location of settlements
- Settlement function
- Urban land use
- Problems of urban growth
- Environmental problems caused by urban growth
Section 4 - Tectonic processes
- Why does the Earth's crust move?
Section 5 - Geological processes
- Rocks and weathering
Section 6 - Environmental processes
- Human use of ecosystems
- Natural environments: benefits and hazards
Section 7 - Economic activity
- Development and globalisation
- Agricultural systems
- Leisure activities and tourism
Section 8 - Resources
- Food resources
- Water resources
- Energy resources: supply and demand
- Alternative energy resources
Section 9 - Impact of economic development
- Climate change
- Economic development: advantages and disadvantages
Section 10 - Investigative skills
- Investigative skills
Exams and assessment
- 1 hour 45 minutes, 45% of marks
- 1 hour 30 minutes, 27.5% of marks
- 1 hour 30 minutes, 27.5% of marks
Non-exam assessment (NEA):
This course has:
- 1 introductory assignment
- 10 assignments
Set texts and resources
- Essential Mapwork Skills 2, S Ross, Nelson Thornes 2007
- Windows 7 or later
- Mac OSX 10.7 or later
- Google Chrome OS
- Android 4.4 or later, using the Chrome browser
- iOS 6 or later, using the Safari browser
- Google Chrome (latest version)
- Mozilla Firefox (latest version)
- Safari 6 or later
- Internet Explorer 10 or later (excluding IE11)
learn@nec may work on other operating systems and browsers with some restrictions. You can see full details of the system requirements by clicking here.
How to enrol
- Click the ‘Enrol now’ button above.
- Telephone us on 0800 389 2839 or +44(0)1223 400200 and speak to our course advice team.
- Ask us to send you an enrolment form which you can complete and return by post.
Paying in instalments
Amount of credit:
Duration of agreement:
Rate of interest:
0% APR representative.
The National Extension College (NEC) is the trading name of the Open School Trust, which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (register number 676788). Finance is provided through the Deko platform by a number of lenders. You will be offered the best rate available based on your credit history and the lenders’ credit decision policies.
Deko is a trading name of Pay4Later Ltd who act as a credit intermediary. They are registered in England and Wales (company number 06447333) and authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (register number 728646). For more information please go to www.dekopay.com/faq or visit www.dekopay.com.
What our students say...
Home study student Alice Neal completed four GCSEs and IGCSEs, including geography, with NEC, and said she enjoyed the versatility of distance learning as a method of study. “I liked the flexibility to study at my own pace so that I could do my GCSEs in a year,” she said. Alice achieved an A* and three As.