Due to the short amount of time left until the Summer 2018 exam session, we advise students to reconsider moving their exam intention to Summer 2019. If you do decide to go ahead with 2018 exams, the deadline for enrolling is 1st December. After this date we strongly recommend adding our Fast Track service to your enrolment. We are able to accept enrolments with Fast Track until 12th January. After this final date you would need to wait until 2019 to sit your exams.
The study of law will enable you to develop your analytical and critical thinking and problem-solving skills through the application of legal rules. The course covers the nature of English law and the English legal system, criminal law, tort and law-making.
This course is one of our new Gold Star AS levels. Find out more about them here.
Duration of study
- The nature of law and the rule of law
- Parliamentary law-making
- Delegated legislation
- Statutory interpretation
- Judicial precedent
- Law reform
- European law
Section 2 - The English legal system
- The civil courts and alternative dispute resolution
- Criminal courts and sentencing
- Lay people
- Legal personnel
- The judiciary
- Access to justice and funding
Section 3 - Criminal law
- General rules of criminal law
- Actus reus
- Mens rea
- Strict liability
- Common assault and actual bodily harm
- Grievous bodily harm and wounding
Section 4 - Tort
- General rules of tort and duty of care
- Breach of duty and causation
- Occupiers' liability to visitors
- Occupiers' liability to trespassers
Exams and assessment
- 1 hour 30 minutes, 50% of marks
- 1 hour 30 minutes, 50% of marks
Non-exam assessment (NEA):
This course has:
- 1 introductory assignment
- 4 assignments
Set texts and resources
- AQA A-level Law for Year 1/AS, J Martin and N Price, Hodder Education 2017
- Windows 7 or later
- Mac OSX 10.7 or later
- Google Chrome OS
- Android 4.4 or later, using the Chrome browser
- iOS 6 or later, using the Safari browser
- Google Chrome (latest version)
- Mozilla Firefox (latest version)
- Safari 6 or later
- Internet Explorer 10 or later (excluding IE11)
learn@nec may work on other operating systems and browsers with some restrictions. You can see full details of the system requirements by clicking here.
How to enrol
- Click the ‘Enrol now’ button above.
- Telephone us on 0800 389 2839 or +44(0)1223 400200 and speak to our course advice team.
- Ask us to send you an enrolment form which you can complete and return by post.
Paying in instalments
Amount of credit:
Duration of agreement:
Rate of interest:
0% APR representative.
The National Extension College (NEC) is the trading name of the Open School Trust, which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (register number 676788). Finance is provided through the Deko platform by a number of lenders. You will be offered the best rate available based on your credit history and the lenders’ credit decision policies.
Deko is a trading name of Pay4Later Ltd who act as a credit intermediary. They are registered in England and Wales (company number 06447333) and authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (register number 728646). For more information please go to www.dekopay.com/faq or visit www.dekopay.com.
Thank you for your interest in this course.
Please fill out your details below, and you will receive an email containing a link to download the course sample.