Counselling skills are useful in all walks of life – we often counsel ourselves or a friend/family member who is going through a hard time. Maybe they need you to provide advice or to just be a good listener. Learning how to put these skills into practice could help change someone’s life as well as your own.
Maybe you’ve got first hand experience of mental health conditions and you’d like to help others, perhaps you’re a team leader or manager involved in helping people, or you run a support group which requires listening and helping others, or maybe you’re thinking of a career as a counsellor.
This course can open many doors for you get on track to supporting people in everyday life or as a career.
Duration of study
- Topic 1: Helping relationships and communication skills
- Topic 2: Essential counselling skills
- Topic 3: Active listening
- Topic 4: Reflecting, paraphrasing, summarising and responding to silence
- Topic 5: Responding skills — questioning
- Topic 6: Managing boundaries
- Topic 7: Agreeing objectives for a helping
- Topic 8: Endings and their impact
- 4 assignments
You will also be required to complete:
- A recorded conversation
Set texts and resources
- Windows 7 or later
- Mac OSX 10.7 or later
- Google Chrome OS
- Android 4.4 or later, using the Chrome browser
- iOS 6 or later, using the Safari browser
- Google Chrome (latest version)
- Mozilla Firefox (latest version)
- Safari 6 or later
- Internet Explorer 10 or later (excluding IE11)
learn@nec may work on other operating systems and browsers with some restrictions. You can see full details of the system requirements by clicking here.
How to enrol
- Click the ‘Enrol now’ button above.
- Telephone us on 0800 389 2839 or +44(0)1223 400200 and speak to our course advice team.
- Ask us to send you an enrolment form which you can complete and return by post.
Paying in instalments
Amount of credit:
Duration of agreement:
Rate of interest:
0% APR representative.
The National Extension College (NEC) is the trading name of the Open School Trust, which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (register number 676788). Finance is provided through the Deko platform by a number of lenders. You will be offered the best rate available based on your credit history and the lenders’ credit decision policies.
Deko is a trading name of Pay4Later Ltd who act as a credit intermediary. They are registered in England and Wales (company number 06447333) and authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (register number 728646). For more information please go to www.dekopay.com/faq or visit www.dekopay.com.
Thank you for your interest in this course.
Please fill out your details below, and you will receive an email containing a link to download the course sample.