Due to ongoing reforms, the final opportunity to sit exams for this specification is January 2019.
Due to the short amount of time left until the Summer 2018 exam session, we advise students to reconsider moving their exam intention to January 2019. If you do decide to go ahead with 2018 exams, the deadline for enrolling is 31st December and we strongly recommend adding our Fast Track service to your enrolment. After this final date you would need to wait until 2019 to sit your exams.
Physics is the science that deals with physical matter, motion, energy and the laws that govern the universe. Our home study IGCSE course introduces you to the key concepts of the science, taking a look at areas including heat, light, magnetism and electricity. The course is packed full of plenty of examples, diagrams and explanations to aid your understanding and help you visualise the topics as you work through them. If you want to study any science at a more advanced level, this course will give you a good foundation on which to build your knowledge. An IGCSE in physics is a good first step towards a career in areas including astronomy, environmental science and engineering.
Duration of study
- Looking at reflection of light in flat mirrors
- Finding out about the centre of gravity
- Investigating the principle of moments
- Experimenting with magnetism
- Looking at measurements
- Looking at elasticity
- Graphs and tables
- Finding out about electrostatics
Unit 2 - Electricity and magnetism
- Magnetic fields
- Basic electricity
Unit 3 - Wave motion, optics and sound
- Wave properties
- Properties of light: reflection
- Properties of light: refraction
Unit 4 - Forces and motion
- Speed and velocity
- Stability and centre of gravity
Unit 5 - Energy resources and energy transfer
- Energy and energy transfer
- Major sources of energy
- Matter: solids, liquids and gases
- Kinetic theory
Unit 6 - Wave motion, optics and sound 2
- The electromagnetic spectrum
Unit 7 -: Energy resources and energy transfer 2
- Conduction, convection and radiation
- Boiling and evaporation
Unit 8 - Electricity and magnetism 2
- Measurement of resistance
- Electromagnetism, the electric bell and switches
- Transmission of signals
- Electromagnetic induction: generators
Unit 9 - Atomic physics
- Atoms and isotopes
- Uses of radioactive substances
- Nuclear power
Unit 10 - Forces and motion 2
- Friction, braking, terminal velocity and momentum
- Adding vectors
Unit 11 - Electricity and magnetism 3
- The transformer and mains electricity
- The cost of using electricity
Exams and assessment
- 2 hours, 67% of marks
- 1 hour, 33% of marks
Non-exam assessment (NEA):
This course has:
- 1 introductory assignment
- 15 assignments
Set texts and resources
- Windows 7 or later
- Mac OSX 10.7 or later
- Google Chrome OS
- Android 4.4 or later, using the Chrome browser
- iOS 6 or later, using the Safari browser
- Google Chrome (latest version)
- Mozilla Firefox (latest version)
- Safari 6 or later
- Internet Explorer 10 or later (excluding IE11)
learn@nec may work on other operating systems and browsers with some restrictions. You can see full details of the system requirements by clicking here.
How to enrol
- Click the ‘Enrol now’ button above.
- Telephone us on 0800 389 2839 or +44(0)1223 400200 and speak to our course advice team.
- Ask us to send you an enrolment form which you can complete and return by post.
Paying in instalments
Amount of credit:
Duration of agreement:
Rate of interest:
0% APR representative.
The National Extension College (NEC) is the trading name of the Open School Trust, which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (register number 676788). Finance is provided through the Deko platform by a number of lenders. You will be offered the best rate available based on your credit history and the lenders’ credit decision policies.
Deko is a trading name of Pay4Later Ltd who act as a credit intermediary. They are registered in England and Wales (company number 06447333) and authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (register number 728646). For more information please go to www.dekopay.com/faq or visit www.dekopay.com.
Thank you for your interest in this course.
Please fill out your details below, and you will receive an email containing a link to download the course sample.
What our students say...
"Studying with NEC prepared me very well for the exams, especially seeing that I completed the course in six months! It was a very convenient way of obtaining a qualification with a good grade, particularly now that few colleges offer part-time academic courses. Plus, you can take them over a short period of time."
— Kim Chappell