While writing is a tremendously enjoyable hobby for a large number of people, for some it’s also a source of income. Our distance learning Writing for a Living course will give you all the knowledge and skills you need to give you the best possible chance of getting your work published. You’ll learn about the different publishing platforms and the differing demands they place on the writer, including which outlet would be most suitable for your work. You’ll also pick up some tips on getting started as a freelancer. Completing this home study Writing for a Living course will equip you with all the help you need to turn a hobby into a profession. Full details of the course can be found below.
Would you prefer to pay for your course by instalments? Please see the ‘How to enrol’ section below for details.
You will need to have an active interest in writing to benefit from this course.
Hours of study
As a guideline, you should allow for approximately 30 hours' study time, plus additional time for completing assignments. You will have tutor support for a period of up to 6 months from the date of enrolment.
Exams and assessment
Your course is delivered online through learn@nec, so it’s important that you have access to a computer and the internet. We recommend that your computer is using one of the following operating systems and browsers to improve your experience of using learn@nec:
- Windows 7 or later
- Mac OSX 10.7 or later
- Google Chrome OS
- Android 4.4 or later, using the Chrome browser
- iOS 6 or later, using the Safari browser
- Google Chrome (latest version)
- Mozilla Firefox (latest version)
- Safari 6 or later
- Internet Explorer 10 or later (excluding IE11)
learn@nec may work on other operating systems and browsers with some restrictions. You can see full details of the system requirements by clicking here.
How to enrol
How to enrol
There are several ways to enrol with NEC:
- Click the ‘Enrol now’ button above
- Telephone us on 0800 389 2839 or +44(0)1223 400200 and speak to our course advice team
- Ask us to send you an enrolment form which you can complete and return by post.
Writing for a living: units
- Identifying your goals and dreams
- Analysing what you have to sell
- Identifying and establishing a market
- Promoting yourself and your work
- Your working methods
- Freelance finances
Thank you for your interest in this course.
Please fill out your details below, and you will receive an email containing a link to download the course sample.
What our students say...
"The NEC materials were very good. They helped break the subject down into clear goals, followed by questions and short tests for each learning goal. They were great and made it a lot easier to work through."
— Karen Brayne