Passion and Academics: How Izzy Balances Full-time Musical Theatre Studies with Studying A level Physics Thursday, 24 October 2024

Earlier this year we introduced Izzy who was embarking on a journey to fast-track her A level Physics studies with NEC. In the second in her series of guest posts, Izzy tells us more about balancing her passion for musical theatre with her online A level Physics course. 

As I find myself midway through the year, it’s hard to believe how much has happened since I made the decision to fast-track my A level Physics with the NEC while pursuing full-time Musical Theatre training. It’s been a whirlwind of learning, performing, and finding balance between two very different, but equally important, passions. Here’s a glimpse into how I’m navigating this journey so far.

From GCSEs to A level Physics: Fast-tracking my Studies with NEC

Finishing my GCSEs was a huge relief, especially since I managed to pull it together with some last-minute cramming! I was pleased with my results, but I knew that stepping up to an A level would be a challenge, particularly in Physics, which I’d only studied as part of dual science at GCSE. The leap to A level Physics has definitely been noticeable – it’s a lot more in-depth and demanding. But the support I’ve received from NEC has made the transition smoother. The flexibility of online learning means I can fit my studies around my schedule, and the resources are really helping me get to grips with the more complex concepts.

How I Balance Full-time Musical Theatre Training and A level Physics

On top of tackling A level Physics as an online course, I’m also fully immersed in Musical Theatre training, which has brought its own set of challenges. In the first week alone, I faced a couple of setbacks – first, I had an issue with my foot, which isn’t ideal for someone who spends a lot of time dancing! And if that wasn’t enough, I came down with what felt like COVID. Being physically unwell made it tough to start in a new place, where everything feels unfamiliar and you’re trying to make new friends while keeping up with the intense schedule.

Izzy outside the Royal Academy of Dance
Izzy outside the Royal Academy of Dance

The commute to my Musical Theatre school has also been a bit of a hurdle. But I’ve found ways to use that time productively – whether it’s listening to Physics podcasts, rewatching NEC webinars, or reviewing material from my tutor. Speaking of which, my tutor has been incredibly supportive, always quick to respond and offer guidance whenever I hit a snag in my studies. Having that one-on-one support, particularly from someone who teaches at the University of Cambridge!, has really boosted my confidence.

I also had a meeting with NEC’s pastoral support team, which helped me feel more grounded as I juggle my studies and training. Knowing that there’s a support system in place has made all the difference.

Finding a Rhythm: Balancing my routine for studying A level Physics alongside Musical Theatre

What’s helping me stay on track is creating a routine that lets me focus on both passions without feeling overwhelmed. I’m learning to be kinder to myself when things don’t go as planned – like when my foot injury meant I had to sit out of dance classes for a few days. I used that time to catch up on my A level Physics, which helped me stay productive even when I couldn’t physically participate in rehearsals.

Another key strategy has been breaking up my day into focused blocks of time for study and training. I’ve found that dedicating specific hours to A level Physics means I can really concentrate without distractions, and once that’s done, I can fully switch my attention to theatre. It’s not always easy, but having structure in place has made all the difference.

Looking ahead: My goals for A level Physics and my Musical Theatre Training

While this year so far hasn’t been without its bumps in the road, I’m feeling more confident about where I’m headed. The journey isn’t easy – balancing two demanding paths never is – but the sense of accomplishment I get from seeing progress in both areas is worth every challenge. I’m excited to continue pushing myself in A level Physics and growing as a performer, knowing that with perseverance and a solid plan, I can succeed in both. I am all booked to take the three papers to achieve my A level Physics, and have a week in a lab in February – which will help me achieve the practical endorsement – something I am really looking forward to. 

Stay tuned for the next update in my journey as I continue to juggle physics, performances, and everything in between!

Izzy A.

If like Izzy you are looking to balance your academic study alongside your passion or other commitments, check out NEC’s full range of A level courses.

If you are interested in fast-tracking your A level study, find out more about our Structured Fast Track A levels. HURRY! Enrolments on this year’s cohort are ending soon, but if you Fast Track your A level journey and enrol by the end of October 2024 you’ll save 10% on your course fee

Still not convinced? This recent blog post looks at why you should consider studying physics.

Share this story